“There's a race of men that don't fit in, A race that can't sit still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will. They range the field and rove the flood, And they climb the mountain's crest; Their's is the curse of the gypsy blood, And they don't know how to rest.”
- Robert Service

Thursday 28 March 2013

February is for Lovers...of snow!

Our February adventure took us to the Rocky Mountains! My father and I drove to Calgary to pick up Mike from the airport, and we spend a week skiing our way back to Kamloops. We visited the three mountains at Banff (Norquay, Sunhine and Lake Louise), then Kicking Horse, and finished with Revelstoke. Let me tell you - for all the fun we were having, my legs we like unto jello once we reached day 5!

We each had our favourite hills - mine was Sunshine. Kicking Horse was a real challengine mountain, but easily one of my favourites simply for the view. I felt as if I was climbing the mountains on my way to Mordor! There was a track from the lift to the Blue run that was maybe 25 feet across - and dropped sharply on either side! This mountain also had a second bowl that you had to hike to, which we never attempted to visit. The track was called the Lemming Line, as in skiiers and snowboarders follow each other like lemmings up this track and over a cliff. It was a little advanced for us.

Lake Louise with my dad. Good weather that day!

Post ski bewskis. Definitely necessary

Kicking Horse. Gorgeous! I wish I had more pictures, but I don't - we spent more time fiddling with the helmet cams...

Also Lake Louise. So rad


Dad was stoked on snowboarding! This was the gondola at Sunshine

1 comment:

  1. There was definitely a bowl we avoided at Kicking Horse, but I think that was Stairway to Heaven... the lemming line is at Revelstoke, which goes over the top to Ripper.

    ReplyDelete